DECEMBER 24TH


"tis the day before Christmas and all through the house

the shopping is finished

except for my spouse who refuses to think ahead

(hoping perhaps he will die)

or some other disaster will cause Santa to NOT fly

through the sky

But alas!

no great thing materializes and now he is writing down

everyone's sizes and he stops at the bank

uses his magic card in the slot, where a lot of bills appear


It's so hard

to believe that old Santa, all year, fills his sleigh

when the man in my life waits

'til the VERY last day!

*

I suppose it's the parable, though it's terrible to say

Five virgins were ready while the rest were at play

or at work or too busy

or they just procrastinated

but

life would be more peaceful! if they just hadn't waited!

but I fear

it'll be the same thing next year!

*

I wrote this little poem a lot of years ago, about the husband of one of my daughters (who shall remain nameless) but I think every family has at least one person who puts it off til the last minute. We love them anyway!

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home