Boy, do I remember lots of cold Christmases. We used to wake up at the crack of dawn, or before, and it would be HOURS before you'd hear anyone downstairs move. I could never understand why parents could sleep in on Christmas Day
#
One of the kids would hop up and run down stairs to see if we could get up (we knew they'd say no, and they did.)

"Wait until I get the fire made , it's too cold" my Dad always said, Boy, as if we cared!

It was never too cold for Christmas!
'cause Christmas is inside
It's in the eyes of little kids all shining
open wide as you sit on the floor and count the presents
"and this one is for Lou
and this one is for me, and this one
this one is for you
but you can't have it yet, you have to wait"
and that's the hardest thing
The waiting 'til it's time to see what Christmas day will bring
and so we went back up to bed and waited and waited and waited, and talked about what we hoped to get. and then, when we couldn't wait one minute longer, we'd all ( my three sisters and me) get up and try again, sneak down stairs and peek in to see if the tree was still there. Maybe we'd catch a glimpse of a bike or some dolls. There were always dolls, with four girls.
We didn't dare go in or it might ruin the surprise, so we'd run back upstairs and jump under the covers (because it really was cold down there!) and talk about what we'd seen! Our dream was coming true, Christmas was almost here!
#
"It's Christmas! time to get up!" my Dad called and this time when we got to the bottom of the stairs, there was the tree, with lights sparkling, and my mom in a chair holding the baby, and my Dad in his robe smiling and it really WAS Christmas!
and the house was still cold
and we didn't even care!

1 comments:

Aunt Georgeanna I love hearing stories about when you guys were little and finding out what Grandma and Grandpa May were like when you were kids. My Mom doesn't really share stories like that with us. Keep them coming!! We spent one christmas with Grandma and Grandpa May one year and it was super special. WE rode the train in and it was really fun to spend that holiday with them.

December 28, 2008 at 10:17 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home