YARD SALE DAY




Today being Saturday, and the sun shining bright and warm, we decided to hit a couple of yard sales. My favorite thing to do, now that winter's over. I like it when Dee goes with me, and we can check up on each other and not come home with a bunch of JUNK like I have in past manic years (a story for another day)
**
I got out the map and looked up the addresses so we wouldn't
wander, having three stops staked out. On the plus side
we didn't spend much. Let's see, I got a radio for 50 cents
Dee got a really good long extension cord for 25 cents
A set of glasses for a quarter each, total of 9
and
My best buy of the day
Mary Poppins and Bert (see photo)
25 cents each
+
I'll probably list them on e-bay, after I've enjoyed them for a while.
+
Oh, yeah, at a rummage sale at a church I got this wonderful
pistachio marble orange cake, excellent!
I wonder if I could find the lady who made it?
+
I LOVE SATURDAYS and YARD SALES!!
+
I also saw a lady buying fruit jars, and got her name to call
when our pears are ripe.
#####
POEM TIME
YARD SALE DAY
Once there was a little house that stood right down the road
It was stuffed! so full of stuff it was on overload
The lady in the kitchen liked to collect all kinds of things
She used to have a canary, but now, it hardly ever sings
because it's covered! stacked with dishes that she buys, Oh! what a sad tale
at every house she sees as she drives by
WAIT!
there's a sale
#
in that garage, or in the back yard, and she starts right in to dig
in piles of clothes "I don't need those they're too small, or too big
but maybe I'll just take them anyway and save, you know, just in case
someone else should need it"
Now
she doesn't have a space in all the house where she can sit
in fact she cannot turn around
and when she wants to eat, she goes outside, where she has found
a little room, behind the lawn-mower and three old washing machines
and just behind a stack of well-worn really-good blue jeans
Her bedroom's not much better, in fact, it's a great disaster!
She used to have a bicycle so she could pedal faster
as she went around the neighborhood, but that got buried, too
underneath the stack of quilts
#
OH!
what's a lady to do? She needs a miracle!
"I think I'll go upstairs and take a snooze" but
on the stairs is where she stores a hundred pair of shoes
that don't fit anyone!
and do not match but she says, "Who can tell?
Someone, someday may come along and they'll fit them, very well"
#
She feels surrounded! yet she rides her bike to more sales every week
Then one day she looked around
SOME HELP I NEED TO SEEK
because I don't have room to move, oh, dear, oh dear, what shall I do?
Then someone took a look and said
#
You'd better have a yard sale too
and so
she found a piece of wood and a nail and made a lovely sign
and put it in the front yard, it said
TODAY
A YARD SALE
AND IT'S MINE!
and then the people started coming, grabbing this and grabbing that
It wasn't even too much work, the lady simply sat and said
Hello, goodbye, and how are you?
and they gave her the money
which the lady put inside the box
#
You know, it was so funny that by evening she discovered the bed
and she found the floor, and even saw a couple of chairs
she'd never seen before
#
and she said, "Not another yard sale sign do I intend to read
unless of course
I happen to see
something I REALLY need
#
THE END
yeah, right
#
#









1 comments:

I love that poem. It reminds me of when you would visit when I was young and we would go to yard sales! I do like those dolls you found too!

April 13, 2008 at 9:40 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home