AN OLD FRIEND and TAFFY

You know how sometimes you have an article of clothing that you just feel good in, even though it looks old and kind of ratty? That's what I'm wearing today. A sort of puffy, sort of pink open front jacket of sorts.

It is really old, and really ratty, but it just FEELS so good. Like an old friend's arms are around you. I've probably thrown it away a dozen times (but not too far) then dug it back out, when I just need it. This morning I felt a bit cold (snow in April?) and there on the floor behind my shoes I found it, my old favorite.

Being pretty well soiled, especially the sleeves, I turned it inside out, and it doesn't look half bad, and much cleaner. So I'm set to do some writing, all cozy in my old jacket.


A couple of summers ago I went to Seaside, this town in Oregon by the sea (where else) and discovered they have this wonderful salt water taffy. It was kind of spendy, $5.95 a pound, but I came home with a bag full, after I'd eaten a bag full there.

When that was gone I sent back and ordered 2 more pounds $5.95 plus a bunch of postage.
I loved that taffy, when it got a bit hard, I found that putting it in pants pocket for a while softened it up. Or about 5 seconds in the micro-wave, except if too long it stuck to the paper.

A new store in town opened up, and guess what? They had taffy. It was cheaper, but not as good, but of course being now addicted, I became a regular customer. In fact, the guy now knows my name.

One day my daughter Elaine said, "They have really good taffy at WalMart" so I tried it. Comes from Sweet's in SaltLakeCity, and she's right, it's good, and only $1.84 a pound. Best of all, it stays soft. Not quite as good as Seaside, but I don't feel as guilty eating it.

I have to hide the papers, a waste basket full of them doesn't look good for one who is grown.


I seem to need something in my hands to eat all the time when I'm not up and busy. I like those little round rice snacks from Quakers, especially Carmel Corn, and have figured out I can eat the whole bag for only 280 calories which I'm sure is better for me than taffy. Actually, I'm thinking of taking up knitting again, but probably not.

I used to be addicted to that, too. One year, when my kids were small, I made 16 sweaters. I had to limit myself, I could knit 10 minutes out of every half hour. It's amazing how much you can get done in 20 minutes if you know there is a sit-down reward at the end. Plus I was close to the kids, just rocking and knitting and watching and listening and resting.

Back in those days they encouraged you to bring your crafts to home-making meeting (now called enrichment, for those of you too young to remember) and I'd knit during the lesson. One day they told me I could no longer knit during the lesson and I said, "Why? I can knit and listen at the same time"

Their answer was that other sisters were so busy watching me knit so fast, that they couldn't listen and watch at the same time. I think they needed a hobby too, even if it was addicting.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home