MICHAEL McLEAN and CREATIVITY

There is a new section in the Deseret News called MORMON TIMES which has articles of interest on LDS themes. Today I found one on Michael McLean celebrating his 25th anniversary of writing music.

I've met Michael McLean. Back in 1992, he came to present a youth conference program in LaGrande, OR. I had just purchased a video camera, one of those huge heavy ones that you held up on your shoulder. I had nothing to do with MIA at the time, but I loved his music, so I went to every part of the conference. The first song he wrote I think was "You're not alone."

I stood back by the door and took a video of the whole thing. After the program, he was standing in the hall with his wife and others, with his clothes on a hanger over his shoulder.

He said, "Well, I'm going out to my car" and no one followed him, no one that is except me.
We chatted going in and out. Since I didn't think it too cool to try and video him, I left the camera cap on but with the sound recording. I so admired his talent, and being a novice poet, I wanted to learn all I could.

The next week I wrote him a note, thanking him for coming, and mentioned that I was bi-polar (and more than a bit manic the day of the program) He wrote back, saying he could understand the depression because he'd shared the same feelings.

In the article in the Deseret news, by Carma Wadley, he was quoted as saying:



The songs are an incredible gift. I don't own them
I simply hear them first and pass them on
I'm convinced that God made me a songwriter
I totally understand how that works, because it's happened to me writing poetry many times. When you are in tune with the spirit, in some incredible way, words are handed to me, sometimes entire poems, which require no changes.
Recently I came across one which I didn't recognize, and thought "Now this is a really nice poem, it must belong to someone else," but I hadn't noted the author. Today I found it in my journal from 1986. There it was, in MY journal, so I knew it was mine. God's system is amazing, and it is so fun to be a part of that transfer of thought and creativity from another place and time.
I think everyone has that ability, we are mostly just too busy to tap into it, because life keeps getting in the way. A book of remembrance is just that, a book filled with remembrances of our former life. It's a blessing to be a part of it.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home