For people who like to be prepared for emergencies, a food supply is a necessity. Wheat being the staff of life, knowing how to make bread is vital. Even if you don't make it all the time, knowing how will give you great peace of mind





FOLLOW THE PROPHET!



When bread got to be 3.00 a loaf, we decided it was time to start baking whole wheat bread again. So I thought I'd share my recipe with you. I made lots of bread when I had a houseful of kids, but when there were just two of us, we got a bread maker and used that. Now, back to making "real" bread.

We are using hard red wheat which is somewhere between 25 and 40 years old. Some has traveled from Oregon to Utah to Fresno and back to Oregon. Most was purchased for 10 cents a pound (today I saw in Emergency Essentials they have it in 46 lb. cans for 47 dollars) So, back to the recipe and a couple of hints.


4 cups warm water


1 cup oil


1 1/2 cups sugar


3 teaspoons baking powder


1 teaspoon salt


3 eggs


1 pkg. (2 1/2 teaspoons) yeast


12-14 cups flour


I use about 3 cups of white flour and the rest whole wheat. I like to add about 1/2 cup cracked wheat. After mixing, I let it double in size, then punch down and make four loaves, baked in well oiled pans.

Wheat handles better if you don't add flour when forming into loaves, just keep your hands moist with oil. Let loaves raise for a long time, maybe 1 1/2 hours or until nice and full in the pan.

Bake at 450 for 10 minutes, then turn heat back to 350 for 25 more minutes. BE CAREFUL, it's easy to eat both ends off a couple of warm loaves.

This bread freezes really well, in freezer bags. Enjoy! Your husband and kids will think you are wonderful!










1 comments:

Hi - I love your blog. I finally did the google thing and got a password so I can leave comments. I plan to wow Mitch asap with real bread. Thanks for sharing. Altho I had a great time in London, my fav trip of the year was ours with Allen. I love my photos to help me remember all the fun things we did. Love you -- keep blogging. You have beautiful kids and grandkids.

September 27, 2008 at 8:58 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home